Women face many special challenges and changes with their health throughout their lives, each with different needs that deserve specialized care. IRMC recognizes these needs and offers the special kind of personal care that can improve your health and happiness. Our staff of compassionate nurses is dedicated to caring for women who are ill or recuperating from related surgeries.
Women’s health includes a wide range of specialties and focus areas, such as:
- Birth control, sexually transmitted infections (STIs), and gynecology
- Breast cancer, ovarian cancer, and other female cancers
- Menopause and hormone therapy
- Pregnancy and childbirth
- Sexual health
- Women and heart disease
- Benign conditions affecting the function of the female reproductive organs
Preventative Care and Screenings
Preventative care for women includes the following services:
- Regular gynecological checkups, including a pelvic exam and breast exam
- Pap smear
- Bone density testing
- Breast cancer screening
- Discussions about colon cancer screening
- Age-appropriate immunizations
- Healthy lifestyle risk assessment
- Hormonal testing for menopause
- Screening for STIs
Breast Care Services
Breast care services include the diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer, which may involve:
- Breast biopsy
- Breast MRI scan
- Breast ultrasound
- Genetic testing and counseling for women with a family or personal history of breast cancer
- Hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, and chemotherapy
- Mastectomy and breast reconstruction
The breast care services team may also diagnose and treat noncancerous conditions of the breast, including:
- Benign breast lumps
- Lymphedema, a condition in which excess fluid collects in tissue and causes swelling
Sexual Health Services
Your sexual health is an important part of your overall well-being. Women’s sexual health services may include:
- Birth control (contraceptives)
- Prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of sexually-transmitted infections
- Therapies to help with problems with sexual function
Gynecology and Reproductive Health Services
Gynecology and reproductive health services may include the diagnosis and treatment of various conditions and diseases, including:
- Abnormal Pap smears
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding
- Bacterial vaginosis
- Heavy menstrual cycles
- Irregular menstrual cycles
- Other vaginal infections
- Ovarian cysts
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)
- Pelvic pain
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) and premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD)
- Uterine fibroids
- Uterine and vaginal prolapse
- Vaginal yeast infection
- Various conditions affecting the vulva and vagina
Pregnancy and Childbirth Services
Regular prenatal care is an important part of every pregnancy. Pregnancy and childbirth services include:
- Planning and preparing for pregnancy, including information about proper diet, prenatal vitamins, and review of preexisting medical conditions and medications used
- Prenatal care, delivery, and postpartum care
- High-risk pregnancy care (maternal-fetal medicine)
- Breastfeeding and nursing
Infertility specialists are an important part of the women’s health services team. Infertility services may include:
- Testing to determine the cause of infertility (a cause may not always be found)
- Blood and imaging tests to monitor ovulation
- Fertility treatments, including:
- Medications to stimulate ovulation
- Intrauterine insemination
- In vitro fertilization (IVF)
- Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) – injection of a single sperm directly into an egg
- Embryo cryopreservation – freezing embryos for use at a later date
- Egg donation
- Sperm banking
The women’s health services team can also help diagnose and treat bladder-related conditions. Bladder-related conditions that may affect women can include:
- Bladder emptying disorders
- Urinary incontinence and overactive bladder
- Interstitial cystitis
- Prolapse of the bladder
If you have a bladder condition, your women’s health specialist may recommend that you do Kegel exercises to strengthen the muscles in your pelvic floor.
Non-invasive Vulvovaginal Application
ThermiVa® is a non-surgical treatment option intended to help women reclaim what childbirth or aging may have taken away. The application uses radiofrequency energy to gently heat tissue. The patent-pending electrode is designed for applications including the vaginal anatomy.
Click here to request more information about this procedure »
Other Women's Health Services
- Cosmetic surgery and skin care, including skin cancer
- Diet and nutrition services
- Psychological care and counseling for women dealing with abuse or sexual assault
- Sleep disorders services
- Smoking cessation
Partners in Women’s Health
Partners in Women’s Health is a cooperative effort with the Indian River County Hospital District to ensure that all women have access to prenatal care.
Services offered by Partners include:
- Complete obstetrical care
Offering prenatal care and education to help mothers ensure a healthy birth experience. We are the only office in Vero Beach offering weekly mother support groups, optional nutritional education, yoga classes, hospital tours, childbirth and breastfeeding education, and support for the new family.
- Annual exams and pap smears
Accepting all major insurances, appointments are generally available within a two-week timeframe.
- Management of abnormal pap smear results
Performing in-office colposcopies, biopsies, and loop electrosurgical excision procedures (LEEP).
- Pelvic surgery
When required, diagnostic laparoscopy, hysterectomy, myomectomy, etc., procedures performed at Indian River Medical Center.
- Advanced minimally invasive surgery
When indicated, surgical procedures performed less invasively, providing shorter hospital stays, quicker recoveries and less pain.
- Basic infertility patient work-ups
Laboratory work, exams, and referrals made to infertility specialists.
- ESSURE® minimally invasive sterilization procedures
Local anesthesia, no surgery, and offered in-office. Permanent sterilization without pain.
- Birth control pills and devices such as MIRENA® IUD and NEXPLANON®
Daily or long-lasting birth control medication and devices to help you plan your family.
- Diagnostic and procedural hysteroscopy
Using a small camera, diagnosis and treatment can be fast and effective. Done safely and conveniently in-office.
- Treatment for abnormal uterine bleeding
Ablation to treat abnormal uterine bleeding, now offered in-office.
Partners in Women’s Health
1050 37th Place, Suite 101-103
Vero Beach, FL 32960